Skip to content

AT&T caught in a brazen 4G lie | WTVR.com – Richmond News

By David Goldman

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — ATT on Wednesday announced a plan to cover 96% of the U.S. population with 4G-LTE service by the end of 2014. That’s great news for customers — but it reveals that ATT told regulators a pretty big whopper last year while fighting for its doomed T-Mobile merger.

One of the deal’s fiercest battle points was 4G access outside major cities. Without T-Mobile, ATT said it was “very unlikely” that it would expand 4G-LTE service beyond the 80% coverage threshold it already planned to reach by 2013.

“In some of these [less-populous] areas, ATT simply lacks the spectrum necessary to deploy LTE,” the company told the Federal Communications Commission in a written defense of its proposal.

The FCC called ATT’s bluff. It released a damning report on the scuttled merger saying it believed ATT would expand its 4G deployment with or without T-Mobile.

ATT hit the roof, complaining that

... read more at: http://wtvr.com/2012/11/07/att-caught-in-a-brazen-4g-lie/